Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DA in denial about gangs in Lowell

“I don’t characterize this as a gang issue so much as a violence issue amongst young people who are willing to carry weapons and utilize them to resolve conflict,’’ Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr. said.

So when a pair of Cambodian Bloods gets kicked out of a party, then return with rifles and hose down a room, it's not a gang issue?  Ok, Gerald, makes sense to me.  No gang problem in Lowell. 

This really shouldn't be surprising given Gerald Leone's characterizations of other crimes... here are a few other things he very well may have said in the past:

"I don't really see this as a rape so much as a case of a man forcefully penetrating a woman without her consent."

"I don't think this is a case of terrorism as much as a few young men flying planes into buildings." 

"I wouldn't characterize this as a suicide so much as someone jumping off a bridge to end his own life."

It looks to me like Leone wants to blame the crime on an easy target - the availability of guns, instead of doing real policing to convict and imprison for life the Cambodian gang members in Lowell.

No comments:

Post a Comment